List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: sniffing
From:       Chad Dougherty <chad () lycos ! com>
Date:       1997-01-20 20:15:32

Francesc Guasch wrote:

> I'm asked to monitorize what the hell an user does in his
> working time. I gotta now what he does in the http and irc ports.
> My problem is that he's in an area where there is no firewall
> so no proxy can be used.
> I guess my other alternative is sniffing. I remember a program
> called tcp-dump. I'd like anything that can run on a linux or sparc.
> any hints ?
>
> ( I know it's a little bit off topic so please answer privately
>   if someone is interested I'll re-send questions
>   if many people ask me I'll send it to the list)

The tool you're looking for is called argus.  It can be found at:

ftp://ftp.sei.cmu.edu:/pub/argus-1.5

I use this to do exactly what you're talking about above.  It is an
excellent and completely under-rated tool.  Everyone on this list should
check it out.

--
Chad Dougherty
Lycos, Inc.  "The Catalog of the Internet"