List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    RE: Newbie Q's & Class 3 Firewalls?
From:       "Stout, Bill" <bill.stout () hidata ! com>
Date:       1997-01-13 12:55:32

On Friday, January 10, 1997 12:36 PM, John Cross[SMTP:jcross@grtk.com]
wrote:
> I'm currently trying to find a replacement for our TIS firewall running on a
> BSD box.  I've asked for product info on the following:
>         Guardian
>         OnGuard
>         CheckPoint
   >         Eagle NT
      I'm planning on running the system on an NT pentium box.

Why, pray tell, would you want to do that?  You must be
using the fwtk, Gauntlet is one of the best firewalls
out there, and only a bad experience would make one replace
it.

Also, moving to an NT based firewall does not give you all
capabilites of a UNIX version of that same firewall.  Unless
things have recently changed, vendors do not have all
features available on the NT version as they do on their
(higher-end) UNIX versions.

I refrain from saying additional things about NT security,
since that would restart lengthy old threads...

Bill Stou