List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    None
From:       robin.pollard () mail ! ing ! nl
Date:       1997-01-13 2:41:25

Xdeliver: processed on Mon Jan 13 02:41:15 PST 1997
Xdeliver: SENDER firewalls-owner@greatcircle.com
Xdeliver: to
Xdeliver: cc
Xdeliver: apparent_to
Xdeliver: from robin.pollard@mail.ing.nl

X400-Originator: Robin.Pollard@mail.ing.nl
X400-Recipients: firewalls@greatcircle.com
X400-Mts-Identifier: [/PRMD=ING GROEP/ADMD=400NET/C=NL/;0013700002243427000002]
X400-Content-Type: P2-1988 (22)
To: firewalls <firewalls@greatcircle.com>
Subject: Re: cc:Mail through a FireWall
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 11:18:21 +0000
Sender: firewalls-owner@GreatCircle.COM

     As yet I have not put it through a firewall but I can tell you cc:Mail
     listens on one of two ports:

     Port 21 - AAaargghhh ! was the original port they used (though they
     are not using FTP they are using their own protocol)  You can test
     this by FTPing to a cc:Mail router, you won't get far but you get
     something.

     Port CC0 - This is a new option from some revision of V5.x router
     software (5.12 I think).  With 5.x router you need the parameter
     PORTcc0 on the command line, if you use router 6.x then cc0 is default
     and you need to put PORT21 on the command line if you wish to use 21.

     Once it has contacted the listening router the calling router opens
     another high port.  Here is a "netstat -A" from one of our
     multisession OS/2 routers which at the time is listening on port 21
     with one session and communicating to another router on another.

Active Internet connections
PCB      Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address      Foreign Address    (state)
    888a tcp        0      0  15.21.192.2.ftp   7.19.18.12.19493 TIME_WAIT
    2d8a tcp        0      0  15.21.192.2.3785  7.19.27.25.ftp   ESTABLISHED

     We use 21 for backward compatibility but this is internal net.  Any
     one coming in from outside we would certainly force onto cc0.

     I don't know what rules the high port is assigned by, a little time
     with a packet sniffer could be in order soon.

     Cheers, Robin.