List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: sendmail 8.8.4 with firewall
From:       "Lars Eilebrecht" <sfx () unix-ag ! uni-siegen ! de>
Date:       1997-01-03 14:30:03

Mario Misic wrote:

> I am running sendmail-8.8.4 on AIX-3.2.5.
>
> My problem is how to configure sendmail-8.8.4 to send mail over my firewall
> server !
> I configure sendmail.cf like they said in README file but .......... ?

But _how_ have you configured it? What features are turned on?
What errors do you get?

If you have a DNS inside your domain which is not directly connected
to the outside world you may use something like this in your .mc file:

  define(`SMART_HOST', smtp:your-firewall-host.doma.in)
  LOCAL_NET_CONFIG
  R$* &lt; @ $* . &gt; $* $#smtp $@ $2. $: $1 &lt; @ $2. &gt; $3

This will forward all mail to hosts inside your domain directly to the
host (or its MX) and all other mail will be forwarded to your
firewall host as defined by the SMART_HOST option.

If you still have problems, try to turn of MX lookups for your
firewall host by using 'smtp:[your-firewall-host.doma.in]'.

If you have problems in receiving mail from your firewall system
you may want to open the identd port on your firewall system (for
local hosts) or recompile sendmail with 'IDENTPROTO*' turned off
in 'conf.h'.

And if all else fails, check your dns and read the sendmail README
again. :)

ciao...
        Lars
--