List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
From:       "Mike 'Will tame Cisco's for food' Malik" <Mike.Malik () ssds ! com>
Date:       1997-01-02 17:13:36

At 07:41 PM 12/31/96 -0500, FaNgYoU2 wrote:
>Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) is designed to be a low cost
>and low overhead way of accessing enterprise names directories that are
>based on X.500.  A number of major LAN operating systems vendors have made
>statements that they will develop modules for their operating systems that
>will interact with LDAP enterprise names directories.  My limited amount
>of web surfing showed that some development is being done in Unix to
>access LDAP as well as the traditional DNS.

[SNIP]
>Any of you hot shot vendors or Chief Scientists or consultants that
>left firewall vendors for other companies doing any work to include
>LDAP enterprise directory access in firewalls?

You know I'm not sure I want all this flexibility going through my firewall.
I sure someone might, I think this protocol might give all those "hot shot
vendors and Chief Scientists" headaches for years to come.  Of course this
is just my take on the matter.

Mike
Multi-platform  is 2 or more  Micosoft  OS's  in  a    group   ----_____u_
like_diversity__is_different__gendered__and_colored__fascists.__|--|______)-
o+o        o+o  o+o      o+o  o+o  o+o  o+o     o+o  o+o  o+o   o+o Q-Q-Q==\