List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Unix vs. Windows NT
From:       Marc Mosko <marc () tear ! com>
Date:       1996-12-11 12:37:53

Peter da Silva wrote:

> > >Easy on UNIX. There's only two places where services can be set up on UNIX.
> > >     /etc/rc*
> > >     /etc/inetd.conf
>
> > How about /var/spool/cron/crontabs ?
>
>         a) I have never seen a *service* started up from crontabs or atjobs.
>         b) No UNIX system is shipped with a server starting from there.
>         c) In setting up a firewall, I can't see any way you'd be setting
>            a service up to run from crontab.
>         d) And if you did, *you* did it, not the vendor. Presumably when
>            you're setting up a firewall you know what you're doing.
>         e) If you don't know what you're doing, hire someone who does
>            before you play this game.

Some packages, such as listproc and INN use crontab to make sure the
appropriate daemon is still running.  They execute a little script every
15 minutes or so and if they cannot find the daemon via "ps" the script
will re-launch the daemon.

I use the same trick for many other things, like checking for smapd and
xntpd.

--
   Marc Mosko                   Email: marc@tear.com
                                Web:   http://www.tear.com/

   "If anyone knocks out another's eye, he shall pay him
   sixty-six shillings, six pence, and a third of a penny."
   -- Leges Henrici Primi (13th century)

           PGP Key available via Public Servers and
               http://www.tear.com/pgp-key.html