List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: 'secure' intranet mailreading?
From:       Marc Mosko <marc () tear ! com>
Date:       1996-09-27 14:03:37

Perhaps you could just use Lotus Notes?  It can both encrypt the mail
(this is a user-by-user option for the mail server to automatically
encrypt all received mail with the users public key) and use an
encrypted IP channel between the client and server.  Already RSA-based,
pretty user friendly.  Does require a fat client, rather than just a
browser/POP client.

Works very well over the Internet.  I used it for about 2 years with my
previous company.  We only had a 56k line too.

silveira@nutec.com.br wrote:
> =

> On 27 Sep 1996 11:15:34 -0700, in listas.firewalls you wrote:
> >> Why not setup an encryption server .. all mail that needs to be
> >> encrypted can be addressed to this machine - encrypted - and then pa=
ssed
> >> on to the mailing gateway/hub ...
> >> This is what we are talking about, right ?
> >No, not Realy. I'm talking about the Connection between the Central
> >POP-Server and the Desktop PCs. (Or, even worse Mail Reading from Outs=
ide
> >the Firewall).
> =

> People,
> =

> Suggestion: mail server receives Internet mail and encrypts it with
> recipients public key.
> =

> When the user contacts the POP server to receive his e-mail, it goes
> over the wire encrypted, and the POP client should decrypt it.
> =

> I know Pegasus Mail has an API for integration of crypto algorithms,
> and somebody already did a PGP Interface. Perhaps we could take it
> from there? We would need:
> - Modified mail server that receives e-mail and checks a key database
> for the recipients public key, encrypting it *before* placing on
> user=B4s mailbox
> - Stock POP server, since all it has to do is forward the encrypted
> mail to the user=B4s PC.
> - Modified client software that decrypts e-mail after receiving it
> from POP server. Pegaus would be a nice starting place.
> =

> Hope this helps.
> =

> Fernando
> =

> --
> Fernando da Silveira Montenegro       mailto:silveira@nutec.com.br
> Novas Tecnologias                     http://www.nutec.com.br
> Nutec Informatica
> Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil                 #include <std_disclaimer.h>

-- =

   Marc Mosko                   Email: marc@tear.com
                                Web:   http://www.tear.com/

   "If anyone knocks out another's eye, he shall pay him
   sixty-six shillings, six pence, and a third of a penny."
   -- Leges Henrici Primi (13th century)

           PGP Key available via Public Servers and
               http://www.tear.com/pgp-key.html