List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Cisco Access Lists and NetFlow
From:       Marc Mosko <marc () tear ! com>
Date:       1996-09-20 13:04:47

A flow is the complete source IP/port destination IP/port address.
Netflow is no less secure than regular security lists.  It is vulerable
to IP spoofing just like regular lists.

The idea is that once a source IP/port is authorized for a destination
IP/port address, it does not need to be checked each time.  If nothing
changes -- the access list and the IP/port addresses -- then why check
every time?

I am not sure of the exact mechanics when an access list changes.  This
is what I would be worried about.  One would hope that all flows
pertaining to that list (and only those flows) would be re-authorized.

--
   Marc Mosko                   Email: marc@tear.com
                                Web:   http://www.tear.com/

   "If anyone knocks out another's eye, he shall pay him
   sixty-six shillings, six pence, and a third of a penny."
   -- Leges Henrici Primi (13th century)

           PGP Key available via Public Servers and
               http://www.tear.com/pgp-key.html