List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    re: 137/138 udp packets
From:       Keith.Grutzmacher () airliquide ! com
Date:       1996-00-20 7:38:47

These are NETBIOS Name Service and Datagram Service broadcast packets
respectively.  Your Windows NT Workstations are using using NETBIOS as a
network protocol along with TCP/IP.  You can put a rule in your firewall to
block but not log these specific incoming UDP and TCP ports.

Keith G. Grutzmacher
AIR LIQUIDE AMERICA CORPORATION
Phone		(713)868-0423
Internet:	Keith.Grutzmacher@airliquide.com

Original Text
From: C=US/A=INTERNET/DDA=ID/firewalls-owner(a)GreatCircle.COM, on 8/20/96
7:14 AM:
To: Keith Grutzmacher@TeleCorp-HOU-2@ALAC, ZoomitBridge@Services-HOU-6@ALAC
[C=US/A=INTERNET/DDA=ID/firewalls(a)greatcircle.com]

My firewall is logging multiple udp packets from ports 137 and 138. They
seem to be coming from Windows/NT stations. Can anyone tell me what they
are, if I can shut them off and how. Thanks...