List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: None
From:       rebowes () tasc ! com (Bob Bowes)
Date:       1996-03-06 14:31:44

> Our school system has a pilot WAN and internet access project with  a =
> large telecommunications co.  We have, as they say, direct access to the =
> internet, ie, no firewall.  Could someone elaborate on the risks which =
> our school children may be exposed to by not operating behind a firewall?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Mike Attayek
> 0199191@nt.com

At my son's school, all doors are locked except the front door by the
office.  All visitors must therefore go by the office where they
receive a visitor's badge.  A firewall would provide the same type of
environment.  There is only one place to enter, and that is watched.
It doesn't guarantee that nothing bad will enter, but it does make it
more difficult.

As far as specific risks, without knowing what you have on the WAN, I
couldn't say.  I will say that any information stored on any machine on
the WAN is subject to purusal, modification and/or deletion.
Therefore, the first question I would ask is: what do you have
connected to the WAN?  student records, personnel records, etc.

BTW, welcome the cyberspace :-)

Bob
rebowes@tasc.com