List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Java Applets via caching
From:       "Ashley Miller" <Ashley_Miller () cpqm ! saic ! com>
Date:       1996-01-31 8:31:27

------------------------------
Date: 1/30/96 10:24 PM
To: Ashley Miller
From: Chris Woods

Hi,

Something crossed my mind re: proxying web requests with java applets.
Java applets are not cacheable, at least with my setup (CERN httpd running
as caching proxy for outgoing http requests). This is not such a huge
problem right now; simply tell the server not to cache those sites that
contain java applets. However, as the popularity of java grows, this will
become a major headache.

>>If they are, I can think of a few hackers who suddenly have a whole new
backdoor into big corporate networks.  Of course, even cacheing regular old
boring web documents can be a security risk.

Ashley Miller