List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re- Doorknob twisting
From:       jdb () ecofin ! ch (John B*hrer)
Date:       1994-12-30 13:41:22

Date	30/12/94
Subject	Re- Doorknob twisting
>From	John B*hrer
To	Fire Walls

                      Re: Doorknob twisting

> From: Paul Howell <grue@engin.umich.edu>
> Subject: Re: Doorknob twisting
>
> From a big university's point of view, probing ports is very petty
> compared to date rape and all the other problems faced on campus.
> This is the perception held by our campus public safety people.

When I was at the University of Michigan, we had an incident in which
this perception fared badly when presented to the outside world. With
respect to "probing", the receiving site or business might well question
why their tax dollars are being spent on an institution whose members
(students?) bite the hands that feed them -- eg, hacker attacks.

Technical administrators and campus cops might not see it this way,
but the higher-ups soliciting state funds are probably sensitive
to this point. If the budget is cut, your job might go with it.

Paul -- doesn't the file  *ConditionsOfUse  talk about appropriately
using the university's computing resources? This policy has been in
place for more than ten years at the U-of-M.

John Buehrer      jdb@ecofin.ch
Ecofin, AG        phone: +411 / 201 68 33
Lavaterstr. 45    fax:   +411 / 202 89 47
CH-8027  Zurich
Switzerland