List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: I hate DNS...
From:       Ken Beames <webmaster () qdeck ! com>
Date:       1994-08-31 17:07:06

But mostly only because I don't fully understand it.  What I want to do
is set up to do as Brent and others recommend: bastion host lies like
hell, but is authoritative for the domain; establishes MX records to
forward everything for the domain to the "inside"; provides bogus, but
sufficient, information for A and PTR records (so I can still use e.g.,
ftp.uu.net).  Does anyone have a template they can mail to me, or is
there an example available via ftp somewhere?!?

	Thanks,
	Marty
--
Marty Shannon            | SunOS System Administrator | You can't borrow
TIAA-CREF 3rd Floor      | SVR3 System Administrator  | enough to make
730 3rd Avenue           | UUCP Guru (Don't Tell!)    | me do Windows!
New York City, NY  10017 | Solaris System Administrator, too! | NYAH!
---------------------======================
Grab the O'reiley book on DNS, and BIND.  What I did was build a table of all
possible hosts (class b network=write a program to generate it):
host-0.0        IN  A      149.17.0.0
host-0.1        IN  A      149.17.0.1
host-0.2        IN  A      149.17.0.2
host-0.3        IN  A      149.17.0.3
host-0.4        IN  A      149.17.0.4
host-0.5        IN  A      149.17.0.5
host-0.6        IN  A      149.17.0.6
host-0.7        IN  A      149.17.0.7
host-0.8        IN  A      149.17.0.8
host-0.9        IN  A      149.17.0.9
These are basically bugus answers, we have different host names for these
address inside, but the world doesn't know that, and wouldn't care.

Hope it helps.  -Ken.

Ken Beames
Quarterdeck Office Systems
beames@qdeck.com