List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Mosiac --
From:       Ian Dunkin <imd1707 () ggr ! co ! uk>
Date:       1994-03-30 23:42:04

On Wed, 30 Mar 1994, Marcus J Ranum wrote:

> 	I did some experimenting with xmosiac today [...]

Eric Bina of NCSA was asking on comp.infosystems.www for suggestions
from `the security minded' on ways to fix the telnet/rlogin URL hole
(see appended).  It seems he was just thinking of eating a few
`dangerous' characters before the system() calls, but some people have
since asked why they do it that way at all.  I'm sure he'd find your
more overall analysis very timely, as he's trying to make the necessary
changes for Mosaic 2.3.

    I.

(I think a some of this stuff actually _originated_ in the CERN WWW
library code rather than at NCSA, but..)

--
Ian Dunkin <imd1707@ggr.co.uk>
--

                            o /