List:       firewalld-users
Subject:    Re: How do I get a specific text in the firewall log for specified tcp ports in zone public?
From:       Freek de Kruijf <f.de.kruijf () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-12-12 14:50:51

Op zaterdag 11 december 2021 11:45:22 CET schreef Andrew Moore:
> > I have the interface in the public zone and I have the source
> > 192.168.178.0/24
 in the internal zone. My understanding is that all
> > packets coming in on the interface without a source address mentioned in
> > the internal zone enter the public zone. So these last packets should be
> > processed by the rules in that public zone, which apparently does not
> > happen, at least not the ones that finally get rejected.
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm not a firewalld/nftables expert, but from your description, it seems
> that you want all TCP traffic addressed to a specified port range to be
> rejected and logged.  If so, then rather add your rich rule(s) to the
> public zone, how about adding them to the internal zone, whose rules are
> evaluated prior to public's (according to the article:
> https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/understanding-firewalld-multi-zone-con
> figurations)?

The problem of not appearing of these messages in the log was caused by a an
issue in my router and not with the configuration of the firewall.

In the end I could skip the use of firewalld and use directly nftables.

I needed this for the honeypot software on https://github.com/DShield-ISC/
dshield/ to adapt it for the change to nftables instead of iptables, which is
declared obsolete.

--
fr.gr.

Freek de Kruijf