List:       firewall-wizards
Subject:    RE: [fw-wiz] Classes of firewalls (based on IP utilization)
From:       "Loomis, Rip" <GILBERT.R.LOOMIS () saic ! com>
Date:       2001-02-27 16:00:47

We've been in similar situations with our
lab network here.

I would concur with the recommendation below,
to use a bridging firewall (or firewalling
bridge).  Best example in the commercial
category is the Lucent Managed Firewall
"brick" - 3 or 4 Fast Ethernet Interfaces,
fancy Java GUI and server process, neato-whizbang
features.  It's still essentially a stateful
packet filter, though, and costs fairly
serious money...so you can also just
throw two NICs into a current OpenBSD box
and set up IPFilter.  If you try the latter (or
the former) and you have problems with the
config, send me what you've got and
I might be able to diagnose.  (There are
other bridging firewall solutions out there,
I'm sure, but the two above are what I
have personally used.  I'd love to know
of more, though...)

Alternatively, you could subnet the class C,
and have (for example) a /28 for the "DMZ"
(inside router to external of firewall),
and then a mish-mosh of small subnets for
the rest of the interior.  You've said that
you don't want to do that, and it would
be ugly and painful, so I include it only
for completeness.

The other alternative I've seen is to
put NAT-capable proxy firewalls behind
that packet-filtering router, and not
put any critical systems on the actual
Class C.  We're using both this and
OpenBSD boxen to allow us to shift our
network architecture around quickly when
we change what products/projects are
active in our lab.  Again, you said
you only want to work with "real" IPs,
and I would agree with that goal...but
since you didn't provide a rationale,
I would suggest that you might re-consider.

YMMV, HTH, and good luck.

Rip Loomis		Voice Number: (410) 953-6874
Senior Security Engineer
Center for Information Security Technology
http://www.cist.saic.com