List:       firewall-wizards
Subject:    [fw-wiz] unwitting DoS attacker
From:       hermit1 <hermits () mac ! com>
Date:       2001-02-21 21:27:04

A recent SANS newsletter pointed out this article about the mid-east cyberwar:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2687046,00.html
which states, in part,
"Surfers could then click on one of three links and instantly and
effortlessly launch a FloodNet (DoS style) attack from their computer
against 11 Israeli government groups and businesses."

Reading this article I get the impression that someone has a web site in
operation that lets visitors do their own DoS attack by clicking on a
button.  If I were nasty, I would hack some well known web sites and
carefully not deface them, but cause visitors to launch DoS attacks from
their personal computers without their knowledge.

Is this capability something that has been around for a while and I missed
it?  Or did the authors leave out the part about downloading an applet or
executable?

hermit1