List:       firewall-wizards
Subject:    Re: sndvol.exe
From:       0x1c <nick () shibumi ! feralmonkey ! org>
Date:       1999-03-23 23:16:42

Agreed. Any system *is* subject to resource starvation. The key is, as you
say, to make a design choice (in this scenario, how the PIX handles port
scans).

Personally, I would hope that the pix had some rudimentary intelligence to
identify when a port scan is taking place, and addressed it by either
alerting the administrator or taking action itself. Of course, if it were
to take action itself you would potentially have a nice DoS attack on your
hands...

It's a question I leave open to the masses. It all depends on the nature
of the organisation running the firewall and how they choose to address
such probes.

Nick

--
Therefore those skilled at the unorthodox are as infinite as heaven and
earth, inexhaustible as the great rivers. -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War