List:       firewall-wizards
Subject:    Re: [fw-wiz] VM system for firewall use
From:       "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar ! net>
Date:       2004-10-12 15:25:55

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, ArkanoiD wrote:

> > 1.  The filter gets all data anyway, so all data going through the proxy
> > is immediately subject to compromise (i.e. the filter can pass back
> > *anything* to compromise an internal machine (say send the next IE browser
> > a GDI exploit?) and the internal systems talk to the proxy.
>
> No, the proxy is not at all that dumb to get data from the filter back and
> to use it blindly. Its iterface to filter is restricted;
> filter may be not allowed to modify content at all - just instruct proxy with
> simple actions.
>
> That's a design issue i should keep in mind.

That's a good design- hopefully the marketing folks that are driving the
changes don't "need" the filtering product to pass back
this-is-why-we-blocked-you HTML, which seems to be the typical chance for
the filtering product manufacturers to get their "brand" in front of the
Web browser, or to make the filter a stand-alone product.

It still amazes me when folks writing security software *design* it well-
I've become very jaded over the years.

Paul