List:       firewall-wizards
Subject:    Re: [fw-wiz] nmapbot: using instant messaging as a remote administration
From:       "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar ! net>
Date:       2004-10-06 18:21:52

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Abe Usher wrote:

> I've created a small proof of concept named "nmapbot" that shows it is
> possible to use instant messaging as a platform for remote command and
> control of computer systems.

To be fair, we've known that allowed channels can be abused for decades,
instantiating yet another channel isn't all that novel.

> Purpose:
> - --------
> To create a semi-intelligent security bot that uses instant messaging as
> a platform for receiving commands and returning results.
>
> Method:
> - -------
> Using Python, the AOL TOC protocol, Bayesian language processing, and
> nmap 3.70, I hacked together a little bot that can run nmap and ping.
> Future editions will include additional commands =)

What's the purpose of including additional commands?  Won't that just feed
the script kiddies?

> Security pundits have been promoting the idea that IM is unsafe for
> several years...

Actually, some of us have said that user-controlled clients talking to
anything outside the organization is unsafe.  Blocking a particular IM
client or server won't change the fact that (for instance) DNS tunneling
works in most networks[1].  Adding channel obfuscation (varying language
to delineate an action or target) has been a "thing" in e-mail tunnels for
a while, hasn't it?

> nmapbot provides some new considerations to an old idea -- using
> ordinarily legitimate communication channels for unintended purposes.

I really don't see anything new- other than the obvious obfuscation and
tunneling, perhaps you can explain the newness to those of us who missed
it?

Paul
[1] A long time ago in a building not so far away, I wrote an
anti-spoofing filter test tool that talked back to the mothership via DNS-
we had lots and lots of folks run it, and I don't recall it not working
anywhere.