List:       firewall-wizards
Subject:    Re: [fw-wiz] Dynamic execution of a script on arrival of a packet
From:       Sigurd Urdahl <sigurdur () linpro ! no>
Date:       2002-10-31 16:48:07

Alex Ongena <Alex.Ongena@able.be> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'am using Linux 2.4.19 and iptables.
> I'am looking to make a thing like:
> - by default, everything is denied in the Firewall.
> - on arrival of a packet, a 'script' (ex. perl) is
> called that evaluates some packet details (like
> Source IP, Protocol, Port, date and time of
> arrival, etc..) and can decides to 'add an
> iptable rule on the fly' to accept this and
> future packets.

You probably want to look at the QUEUE target in iptables, described
as:

        QUEUE is a special target, which queues the packet for
        userspace processing.

search for "Special Built-In targets" in [1].

> The advantage of this script could be that 'acceptance'
> criteria can be determined more flexible
> (for example, checking a database with the relation
> IP <-> User at a certain moment in time)

Depending on what you are going to use this for, maybe it would be
better to either have some kind of logon-enabling instead? Either a
web-form to fill in or maybe with PAM. You might want to take a look
at the Authentication Gateway HOWTO [2].

> PS: I'am new to this list, does there exist a searchable
> archive ?

Follow the link below:)

regards,

-sig