List:       firewall-wizards
Subject:    Re: [fw-wiz] IDS or Intrusion Prevention Systems
From:       "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot ! net>
Date:       2002-10-27 15:11:55

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Walter Ludwig wrote:

> Hello to all,
>
> i'm looking for an IDS or Intrusion Prevention System to use in our
> office. I have no idea which one are good an effective and which one
> not. Additionally, I have to write an exam in our school about this

For the record, posts just naming IDS systems won't be approved, posts
with actually useful content may.

IDS systems are relatively immature, so there's no blanket "good and
effective" rubber chicken that can be waved over them.  All of them have
strengths and weaknesses.  Testing IDS products is incredibly difficult to
do well.  ICSA Labs has just started to test and certify products[1],
setting up a common testbed with the right mix of legitimate traffic,
false, but pottentially "bad looking" traffic, and the infrastructure to
do all that takes a lot of time.

> topic. This exam is the last one and therefore very hard. Can you help
> me?

If you have to *write* the exam, I'd suggest looking at Northcutt's books
on IDS, there's one on IDS in general, and one on writing rules.

> Which products are good and why? Which one do you prefer and recommend

Just like firewalls, which one you choose has more to do with what kind of
environment you plan on putting it in, and what kind of policy you're
attempting to enfoce with it than "which product is best" because they all
fit different scenerios differently.  You can't just "Go get the blue one"
because, like when you buy a vehicle, there are different purposes filled
with different ones.  Ferraris aren't better than minivans when the goal
is to take a family of six out to dinner.

You'd probably be much better served spending some significant time
thinking about what sorts of things might change which IDS you chose, or
which evaluation criteria might be interesting for different IDS
deployments, or maybe even back at "what could possibly make one
deployement different from another?"

> and how easy are they to administate? Pros and Cons of different
> products? Where can I find additional information? Do you know Okena and
> their products ("StormWatch", ...)? Are they better (Prevention System)
> than common IDSs? When you use an IDS, what additional software are you
> using (File Integrity,...)? What will be the most secure solution?

People have already commented on the "intrusion prevention" buzzword and
what it's utility has in the market, so I won't reiterate that here.

The most secure solution is to have systems that don't have exploitable
bugs exposed to other systems.  IDS and "intrusion prevention" don't touch
that piece of the puzzle.

Paul
[1] Disclaimer:  I work for TruSecure, ICSA Labs is an independent
division, and I've been slightly involved in the IDS testing program.