List:       firewall-1
Subject:    Re: [FW1] VPN troubles
From:       "Rick McMaster" <Rick_McMaster () freddiemac ! com>
Date:       2000-07-31 17:46:17

Here are two suggestions:

1.  You need two rules for this to work:

SOURCE          DESTINATION     SERVICE         ACTION
their_router    our_firewall    ICMP            accept
our_firewall    their_router    IPSEC group
their_network   our_network     any             encrypt
our_network    their_network

2.  Make sure all of the routing tables are correct and that all of the traffic
destined for the other side of the VPN is being routed through tht firewall.

Rick McMaster
CCSE

|--------+------------------------------>
|        |          "Craig Limber"      |
|        |          <craig.limber@west.g|
|        |          ecems.com>          |
|        |                              |
|        |          07/31/2000 01:14 PM |
|        |                              |
|--------+------------------------------>
  |       cc:     (bcc: Rick McMaster/ISS/HQ/FHLMC)                            |
  |       Subject:     [FW1] VPN troubles                                      |

Hi there;

I am attempting to set up a VPN from FW version 4.1 build 41489 on Solaris
2.6 to a CISCO PIX.  We see that the keys are being exchanged and
everything but traffic through the firewall is not being tunneled.

I created the following objects:

our_network
their_network
our_firewall (external IP number of our firewall)
their_router (IP number of their cisco box)

And have the following rules:

SOURCE          DESTINATION     SERVICE         ACTION
their_router    our_firewall    ICMP            accept
our_firewall    their_router    IPSEC group
their_network   our_network     any             encrypt
their_router    our_firewall
our_network     their_network   any             encrypt
our_firewall    their_router

We have verified that the preshared keys match (even the case) and we are
using matching schemes.  I downloaded many documents from checkpoint,
phoneboy and other sites that describe how to set up the VPN but every
permutation we have tried has failed.   The rules above are the closest
we have gotten.

A snoop on the external interface shows that UDP 500 packets are going
back and forth and an fw tab shows that the keys are being exchanged.
We are getting log entries like this:

;IKE;Combined ESP: DES + MD5 (phase 2 completion) for subnet: their_network
(mask= 255.255.255.0) and for subnet: our_network (mask= 255.255.0.0);;;

Which would imply that parts are working.

However, when I try to send any form of traffic to a host within
their_network I can see with the snoop that the outgoing packets are
NOT encrypted.  They are going out straight (and being dropped by a router
between us).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Craig