List:       firewall-1
Subject:    [FW1] Does this make any sense?
From:       tpellowski () iscvb ! com
Date:       1999-03-31 20:07:00

Hi all:

We are trying to fix a routing problem internallly and I think the following
would work. The problem is that I am not sure if this is a good solution as
far as the firewall is concerned or even capable. I am reasonably sure that
the router is capable but not 100% sure. I submit the following for your
input and chuckles...

-*-(Public Internet)-----s0 	router (Cisco 2514)
				e0				e1
				|				|
				(to first public address)		(to
second public address)
				|				|
				(to FW 0eth0 nic1)		(to FW 0eth1
nic2)
				**********************************
				FW v3.0b
				**********************************
				Ieth0				Ieth1
				(1st illegal 100.100.0.0)	(2nd illegal
50.50.0.0)
				|				|
				building net #1
private net #2

Currently I have the left hand side of the firewall in place and operating.
The issue here is to get the #2 netowrk people off of the backbone inside
(these are lab guys that do some really strange stuff).
What I am thinking is installing 2 NICs. One outside(FW Eth1 nic2) and one
inside(2nd Illegal Ieth1) and plug the cable into those lab guys own hub
stack.
I already have the public addresses from our ISP so that is not a issue.  Is
this even possible? Is FW1 capable of handling two separate networks at the
same time? This is severe uncharted waters for me.
Any inputs , good or bad of course :) is most certainely appreciated and
welcomed.

Thanks!!!!!
Tom