List:       firewall-1
Subject:    Re: [FW1] Why people install fw1 on standard NT installation ???
From:       Jerald Josephs <jerald.josephs () iprg ! nokia ! com>
Date:       1998-03-31 8:39:02

I think the main reason FireWall-1 gets installed onto NT without
trimming off the excess software is most likely due to the possibility
that you will remove something that has a hook into something else.

I am quite surprised to hear that you are satisfied with the performance
of a 16Mb RAM NT platform!  I have often seen recommendations of
at least 64Mb for such a platform.

Since you mention Solaris, you could have experience with it, so
I assume that you can tell the differance between Solaris 2.5.1 running
on an Ultra 1 from NT 4.0 running on a comparable Intel platform.

I have an NT 4.0 200 Pentium/MMX control management host used
to manage two Nokia IP400's, 64Mb RAM on a 233 Pentium-Pro
platform.  Now the NT machine has all of the software installed, and is
also running 2 OPSEC compliant servers as well as RADIUS, and it
struggles.

I move the FireWall-1 management over onto the IP400's and only
use the GUI on the NT.  MUCH BETTER ADMINISTRATIVE PERFORMANCE.
I realize I am not talking about filtering packets...

It is just that I have yet to see any NT 4.0 platform that makes me say,
"Gee, I sure wish I hadn't spend my money on a Sparc..."

--- jerald