List:       firewall-1
Subject:    Re: [FW-1] non-continuous  Public Address ranges in SPLAT...Cluster XL
From:       Stephen Bourike <steve () SURFSHAK ! CO ! UK>
Date:       2008-06-30 21:25:20

Hi Sal

Assuming you are retaining your original range, which is what my original
response assumed, you need to go back to the ISP and ask them to change the
router configuration.

You DON'T want a secondary interface on the router (either as a
sub-interface or using a separate physical interface on the router).  You
need them to simply route the whole of the new block of addresses from your
router on to the external VRRP address of the cluster.

So, lets try to help with an example:

Assuming your original allocation was 81.10.1.32/28 (ie you have addresses
81.10.1.33 - 81.10.1.46 available for use).  You have allocated them as
follows:

81.10.1.33 - ISP Router
81.10.1.34 - some NAT'd server
81.10.1.35 - some NAT'd server
81.10.1.36 - some NAT'd server
81.10.1.37 - some NAT'd server
81.10.1.38 - some NAT'd server
81.10.1.39 - some NAT'd server
81.10.1.40 - VRRP/Cluster address of cluster
81.10.1.41 - Address of cluster HA1
81.10.1.42 - Address of cluster HA2
81.10.1.43 - some NAT'd server
81.10.1.44 - some NAT'd server
81.10.1.45 - some NAT'd server
81.10.1.46 - some NAT'd server

Now you ask the ISP for another 16 addresses and they provide you with
82.11.20.64/28 (82.11.20.64 - 82.11.20.80)

What you want is for the ISP to add a static route to your local router
(81.10.1.33) as follows:

82.11.20.64/28 via 81.10.1.40

This is ALL you need.  No additional interfaces on the router, cluster or
anywhere else.  No extra VRRP or cluster addresses.  You don't even need to
add routes on the cluster (if it's Nokia) for the NAT targets, although I
still prefer to do this as the comment field allows extra information to be
recorded for debugging later.

No ISP should have a problem with this configuration.  This is the easiest
way to simply add addresses for use as bastion server NAT's (they'll work
fine for both Hide and Static NAT entries).

Hope this clears up your block.  Mail again if you need any more help.

Steve