List:       fink-users
Subject:    Re: [Fink-users] upgrade from 10.15-->11.00 will fink stop?
From:       Uwe Brauer <oub () mat ! ucm ! es>
Date:       2023-11-27 18:36:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

>>> "HN" == Hanspeter Niederstrasser <fink@snaggledworks.com> writes:

> On 11/27/23 3:47 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> Hi
>> A couple of weeks ago I asked whether I can install fink in MacOS
>> >=11
>> and the answer was yes.
>> What is not clear to me is this.
>> If I decide, finally to upgrade from 10.15 say to 11.X or even 12.X
>> will then my fink installation stop?

> If you upgrade Fink first to the latest git code (see instructions on
> homepage for fetching it and then running `./inject.pl`), and you then
> update Fink to 11.x or 12.x, then Fink should continue running (might
> need to reinstall any passwd-* users).

Ok, thanks I will try that and if I encounter problems I might come back

> If your Fink is in /sw, then updating to 11.x or higher will cause
> problems because macOS stopped allowing outside stuff writing directly
> to /. If your Fink is in /opt/sw (or else whwere inside /opt),
> updating macOS will be OK.

By Fink is fortunately in /opt/sw

>> Moreover I installed oxfuse, using fink, to access certain encrypted folders.
>>
>> Will this then also stop working and I need to reinstall fink and
>> recompile oxfuse? Since oxfuse is very dear to me and it compilation
>> and installation was a bit a of a headache I am still hesitating to
>> upgrade to 11+

> I've never used osxfuse, but I would be afraid of our v2.7 copy
> working above 10.15. It uses kernel extensions which have been
> disallowed in more recent macOS releases. Have you tried the official
> macFUSE installer? https://osxfuse.github.io/ (again, no idea how the
> current release works compared to our old release)

Yes, also but I think it is best to contact its author and maintainer
first. I am not too keen to run into problems.

Regards

Uwe

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous atrocities on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.

["smime.p7s" (application/pkcs7-signature)]