List:       fink-users
Subject:    Re: [Fink-users] Openssl fails build on Mac OS X 10.11
From:       Daniel Macks <dmacks () netspace ! org>
Date:       2021-10-04 6:17:36

Is the concern the command-line programs (for example, running "openssl" from a \
Terminal prompt), or the libraries (the API/ABI that other compiled programs use to \
talk to them)? Fink is very strict that it does keep older *libraries* for a very \
long time (even after upstream stops supporting them), specifically because other \
programs might still be using them and might be hard to upgrade/migrate. We have \
separate openssl100-dev/openssl100-shlibs, openssl110-dev/openssl110-shlibs, and now \
openssl300-dev/openssl300-shlibs package sets. It's just the command-line program \
package that has the same name version-to-version.

dan