List:       fink-users
Subject:    Re: [Fink-users] Failed: can't remove package coreutils-default
From:       Ryo Furue <furue () hawaii ! edu>
Date:       2011-09-05 11:03:04

Hi Pete,

| > It typically takes tens of minutes or even hours to install a
| > largish package such as gimp and thousands or tens of thousands of
| > lines ofmessages are emitted on the screen, which is the reason
| > why I hesitate to capture and store those messages.
|
| In such a situation the use of GNU Emacs can be handy: using its
| compile-mode [. . .]

I'm confused.  I was talking about running "fink install".
So, I'm not sure what you mean by "compile-mode".

Do you mean that running fink in a terminal within emacs?
(M-x shell or M-x eshell)  Then, yes, you keep all messages
in emacs.  I'll try that next time.

| > (building GCC 4.4 or 4.6 lasts for days on a PowerBook G4).

Oh my god, the beloved PowerBook G4!  I have one and love it,
except it's super langsam!

Ryo