List:       fink-users
Subject:    Re: [Fink-users] an't get distcc to distribute
From:       William Santos <wcsantos () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2010-09-17 16:12:30

Thank you for the reply, Alexander.

Here is the result from my environment on the client machine:

$ env | grep DISTCC_HOSTS
DISTCC_HOSTS=192.168.1.112 localhost

I really have never seen distribution on multiple compiles using distcc on my setup. \
I've watched the compiles like a hawk with distccmon-gnome, as well as the output \
from tail -f distcc.log. Each compile completes without errors, but no distribution \
occurs. (e.g. the client machine does All the pre-compile stuff, tests, etc. and just \
ONE host machine does ALL the actual compiling: I never see parallel compiling by the \
localhost and 192.168.1.112 -- they flip-flop jobs, never compile simultaneously.)

As a test, I searched through some .info files on the Fink website and found one for \
cyrus-sasl2 that has no MAKEFLAGS restrictions or -j1:

http://fink.cvs.sourceforge.net/fink/dists/10.4/unstable/main/finkinfo/net/cyrus-sasl2.info?view=markup

I did a fink install cyrus-sas12 and it compiled fine, but in the way described above \
(pre-compile on localhost and compile on 192.168.1.112 only).

As I said, I've used distcc for years on my Linux boxes and always have parallel \
distributed compiles to every box available, but I have yet to see true distribution \
using distcc with Fink.

What is the key to getting distcc to distribute with Fink? What am I doing wrong.  : \
(

Thanks again,

Bill