List:       fink-users
Subject:    Re: [Fink-users] EMBOSS: dependency problems on X86_64
From:       "=?utf-8?b?RGFuaWVsIE1hY2tz?=" <dmacks () netspace ! org>
Date:       2010-09-07 6:00:48

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:27:36 -0400, Alexander Hansen  wrote:

  > On 8/24/10 6:46 PM, Scott R. Santos wrote:
  > >
  > > Hi Dan,
  > >
  > > Thank you for taking over the maintenance of EMBOSS.  A couple of
things I noticed:

  > > 1) While the "slimmed" down version of plplot have reduced the
dependency load of EMBOSS on i386, its still fairly high (at least 85
additional packages), including python and postgresq.  If possible, it
would be great to have the possibility to install and maintain EMBOSS
via fink without all of these "extras" (whose absence in prior releases
or when compiling from scratch have not impaired my use of this
software suite).

  > The current emboss package carries an explicit dependency on
  > postgresql84, but python is coming in indirectly.
  >
  > It's quite possible that what you are seeing is due to updates in the
  > chain.  Fink tends to be overgenerous in specifying dependencies because
  > that's an easy way to avoid having packages build differently on
  > different systems--and some packages have functionalities based on what
  > they detect which aren't easily turned off.
  >
  > We also tend to build more than just the core functionality of a
  > package, and include all of the bindings, etc. that get built by
  > default.   That can lead to a large number of packages that get built
  > but not installed.

Alex has it exactly: the original packaging I inherited "sometimes"
linked against various sql libraries, and that sort of variability is
forbidden for fink packages (it acted as a non-stated dependency). I
had assumed people would want database support (continuing the same
feature-set I observed previously), so I added the dependencies to make
sure that would happen. Now it builds with the same supported-features
for everyone rather than apparently randomly (from non-technical users'
perspective) having them or not on different machines or with repeated
recompiling.

Given that it can apparently build without (for example) postgresql, it
would be easy to make a package that always does not have that feature.
There might be a ./configure flag or similar build-time setting. You
could edit the package on your local systems to make that sort of
adjustment. It's easy to hack fink packages, feel free to ask for more
info!

However, the database support is not a plugin/addon, so we can't have,
for example, "emboss-core" and then a separate "emboss-postgres" addon.
We could have an "emboss-nodb" that was without database support, and
you could install *either* emboss or emboss-nodb, but users are
perpetually confused when they have to make choices like that (I don't
know why). Due to the nature of this specific set of packages, it would
also be a maintenance nightmare.

dan

  --
Daniel Macks