List:       fink-users
Subject:    Re: [Fink-users] rsync failure? su failure?
From:       Neil Tiffin <neilt () neiltiffin ! com>
Date:       2008-08-25 13:05:54

On Aug 24, 2008, at 11:15 PM, James McKenzie wrote:

> Neil Tiffin wrote:
>>
>>> I have the following permissions for /sw/fink:
>>>
>>> drwxr-xr-x   5 hansen admin   476 2008-08-17 22:01 fink
>>>

>> Thanks, I changed my permissions recursively to root:admin and
>> everything started working again (Mac OS X 10.5.4)
>>
>> Neil
>>

> This is BAD security practice for Fink.  The Fink directory should be
> OWNED by YOU, not ROOT.  This maybe why you originally had this
> problem.  This would require sudo just to run Fink to do anything.
> Let
> Fink decide what needs to be installed/updated with root privileges.
> Please change your permissions away from root.

Thanks for the heads up.  Just to be clear I have never monkeyed with
permission for fink for any reason.  Now when I went to change it and
follow your suggestion, I made a typo and applied <username>:admin to /
sw instead of /sw/fink.  I stopped it partway through, but fear
problems ahead.  What should be the permissions for the other
directories in /sw?