List:       fink-users
Subject:    Re: [Fink-users] qt3 goes rummaging around in /System
From:       David Reiser <dbreiser () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2005-11-24 17:24:24

On Nov 22, 2005, at 4:10 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> David Reiser wrote:
> []
>> Making all in widgets
>> /sw/bin/uic qbprogress.ui -impl qbprogress.ui.h -o qbprogress.ui.cpp
>> dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
>>   Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/
>> ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
>> ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO   Expected in: /sw/lib/
>> libJPEG.dylib
>
> Do you have DYLD_LIBRAY_PATH set to /sw/lib? Don't do this. The
> ImageIO library is linked to /System/Library/Frameworks/
> ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
> ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib
> which Tiger's new improved dynamic linker dyld loves to mix up
> with /sw/lib/libjpeg.dylib, although the latter has a completely
> different install_name.

Yes, I had DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib from a prior trolltech native
mac install of qt3. I didn't clean that out of my .tcshrc file, and
it became /sw/lib when I switched to the fink cross-platform version.
Thank you very much for mentioning this.

>> I can play with the symlink to get /sw/lib/libJPEG.dylib to point
>> back
>
> It is easier to remove the libjpeg package. If you change the
> symlink and then try to build anything that links to Fink's
> libjpeg, you will get unpleasant surprises.

And my, how unpleasant those surprises were... I thought I was being
careful with the hack, but I wasn't careful enough. Ouch.

>> into /System/...../ImageIO/libJPEG.dylib, but what the heck is uic
>> doing over in /System? (If one takes out the 'cg' in that missing
>> symbol name, the symbol is in the /sw/lib/libJPEG.dylib target.)
>
> Well, uic uses X11 and is therefore linked to a couple of X11
> libraries, and /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib is linked to the
> ApplicationServices framework, which in turn pulls in a bunch of
> other frameworks, from WebServicesCore to SpeechSynthesis. To see
> this, start uic, or for that matter any program that is linked to
> X11, even a simple xterm, with the DYLD_PRINT_LIBRRARIES
> environment variable set.
[snip]
> Yes. Qt is built using g++-3.3, just like the rest of (powerpc)
> MacOSX, and you are using g++-4.0 to compile your application. But g
> ++-3.3 and g++-4.0 produce binary-incompatible object files which
> is what you are observing here.
>
> As long as you link to the g++-3.3-built qt libraries, you need to
> build  your application with g++-3.3, too. You can also try to
> rebuild qt3 with g++-4.0 and then cross your fingers that the
> binary incompatibility with the system libGL and libGLU (which were
> compiled with g++-3.3) doesn't bite you later on.

Another case of me trying to build too many packages in parallel.
Then I get lazy because fink always tells me when I need to change
gcc_select. So far, building with gcc 3.3 has resolved the problem.

> --
> Martin

Thanks again.

--