List:       fink-users
Subject:    [Fink-users] Re: [gnome-core] GTK+2 non-programming Questions
From:       Martin Costabel <costabel () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2004-06-28 9:29:17

Dan Sommers wrote:
[]
> Also, gtk+2 still depends on freetype2, which I thought was now
> deprecated because XFree86 now includes it.  I'm running XFree86
> 4.4.0 (installed from the binaries at XFree86.org).  Can I safely
> purge freetype2 from my system?

No, you can't. Fink still needs to know that you do have freetype2. On
10.2, the only way to know this for sure is to have a freetype2 package
installed. Apple's X11 for 10.2 and older xfree86 versions for 10.2 do
not contain freetype2, and the system-xfree86 virtual packages do not
talk about freetype2. Considering the nightmares these virtual packages
are already causing, I would prefer that they are not saddled with
additional logic to detect the presence of freetype2, just to save a
couple of kilobytes of disk space for the two or three users that have
xfree-4.4 installed on a Jaguar system.

In addition, the 10.2 packages that require freetype2 are tested with
the version of freetype2 that comes with Fink. They would have to be
tested again with the different and more recent version of freetype2
that comes with xfree86-4.4.0. Again, not worth the hassle, IMHO.

--
Martin