List:       fink-users
Subject:    [Fink-users] Re: Fink-users digest, Vol 1 #1746 - 12 msgs
From:       Charles Williams <willic3 () rpi ! edu>
Date:       2003-07-30 14:39:50

Hi Jens,

I can't actually solve your problem with fink, but I was unable to
build dx on my powerbook a while back.  I resorted to building the new
version, but it is now installed in /usr/local.  I am pasting below the
letter I sent a while back, in case this might help you out.

Cheers,
Charles

p.s.  Note that I'm using fink's XFree86 rather than Apple's X11, so
this might not work for you.  It would be interesting to see if it
does, though.

> Well, as a temporary solution, I downloaded the most recent version
> (4.3.0)
> and built it outside of fink.  Here is what I did:
>
> setenv CFLAGS -no-cpp-precomp
> setenv CPP 'gcc -E -no-cpp-precomp'
> setenv CXXCPP 'g++ -E -no-cpp-precomp'
> setenv CXXFLAGS -no-cpp-precomp
> setenv LDFLAGS '-L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/sw/lib -bind_at_load'
> setenv CPPFLAGS '-I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include'
> ./configure --with-motif-libs=/sw/lib --with-motif-includes=/sw/include
> --x-includes=/sw/include/ --x-libraries=/sw/lib/ --without-javadx
> make
> sudo make install
>
> Note that I explicitly excluded the java stuff, because the confiugre
> script tried to compile the java stuff otherwise (and bombed).	Other
> packages, such as CDF, were excluded during the configuration process
> when
> the appropriate files weren't found.
>
> It's possible that some of the above is unneccessary or detrimental to
> the
> build process, but I ended up with a functioning version of dx
> (installed
> in /usr/local).  I'm completely unfamiliar with the fink package
> procedure,
> but perhaps the above might be useful in putting together a package
> with
> the current version.  I would certainly prefer that solution to using
> /usr/local.  I would get rid of /usr/local altogether, but I still
> need it
> for PETSc.  Thanks everyone for your help.
>
> Charles

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 11:06  PM,
fink-users-request@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:18:10 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Fink-users] Can't get dx to compile
> Cc: <fink-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> To: Jeremy Erwin <jerwin@ponymail.com>
> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jens_N=F6ckel?= <noeckel@darkwing.uoregon.edu>
>
> Hi,
>
> I haven't tried to rebuild dx in a while, but I cannot run dx any
> longer.
> It used to work fine, but now I'm observing two different failiure
> modes:
> Problem 1: "cannot connect to dxexec", which means nothing works.
> Problem 2: on one machine, I can still run visual programs but the
> graphics
> output is garbled.
> I'm mentioning this because superficially dx seems to start up
> normally,
> so a quick look could fool you into thinking that the program is
> working!
>
> I did fink selfupdate and update-all recently, and switched to Apple
> X11 (beta 3)
> a while ago. But I did manage do work with dx under Aplle X11 before,
> unless my memory fails me completely.
>
> If someone wants to verify this, type "dx" or better
> dx -edit
> then choose "Run Visual Programs..." from the menu, navigate to
> "/sw/share/dx/samples/tutorial" and open (e.g.) "Color2D.net"
> Then (if you get this far) type CTRL-O and hope that X11 doesn't crash.
> It just did for me. You also may get to see a garbled picture first...
>
> I have dx and dx-samples installed, and I'm hoping that this can be
> fixed with a dx-4.3 version within fink.
>
> Jens

Charles A. Williams
Dept. of Earth & Environmental Science
Science Center 2C01