List:       fink-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fink-devel] Language specific versions - man pages
From:       Daniel Macks <dmacks () netspace ! org>
Date:       2017-07-24 16:34:46

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 09:25:44 -0700, Alexander Hansen  wrote:

> > On Jul 23, 2017, at 15:45, Scott Hannahs via Fink-devel  wrote:
> >
> > Once again….  Since I am updating some of my fink packages, I should do them \
> > all!
> > I seem to be unclear on how a language version typed build installs non-version \
> > typed man pages?
> > I am updating config-inifiles-pm as it has gone horribly out of date.  It is a \
> > fairly vanilla bare bones .info file.  But the build -m gives the error:
> > Validating .deb dir /sw/src/fink.build/root-config-inifiles-pm5162-2.94-5...
> > Error: File in a language-versioned package does not have a pathname specific to \
> > that version.  Offending file: /sw/share/man/man3/Config::IniFiles.3pm
> >
> > Well, yes, the man page is not versioned.  So where should I put it?  Should it \
> > be versioned?  Or should the man page be the same for both
> > The type is the normal:
> > Type: perl (5.16.2 5.18.2)
> >
> > And my dependencies are:
> > # Dependencies
> > Depends: <<
> > perl%type_pkg[perl]-core,
> > scalar-list-utils-pm%type_pkg[perl],
> > io-stringy-pm
> > <<
> >
> > The install phase uses whatever is done for default testing and installation for \
> > perl modules: # Install Phase:
> > UpdatePOD: true
> > DocFiles: Changes LICENSE MANIFEST README
> >
> > I think I can build it as a non-typed language file but it has a dependency on \
> > scalar-list-utils-pm which is typed.  It seems that once you have a version \
> > specific file any builds that depend on that version must also be version \
> > specific.
> > Do I explicitly write out the install phase and then change the man page to \
> > Config::IniFiles-pm5162.3pm or something ugly like that?  Google only points me \
> > to a failed build world list that Hanspeter posted and the manual seems to show \
> > that man pages for different versions are all in the same location.  (i.e. there \
> > is no /$version/ sub directory for man1 and man3).  From the fink manual:
>
> It looks like the manual needs updating.  There is actually a relatively easy \
> workaround available, which is the perl-versioned locations available in MANPATH:
> $ printenv MANPATH
> /sw/share/man:/sw/lib/perl5/5.18.2/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/share/man:/opt/X11/ \
> share/man:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/share/man:/Applications/Xco \
> de.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/share/man:/sw/lib/perl5-core/5.16.2/man:/sw/lib/perl5/5.16.2/man
>
> If you install the manpages under %p/lib/perl5/%type_raw[perl]/man they will be \
> available automatically.
Check the .info for almost any existing version-specific perl module and you'll find \
a fairly standard InstallScript incantation that puts the files in this MANPATH \
place.

The secondary question's answer is "yes, you do need to be varianted once any of your \
dependencies are varianted". And in this case, even though perl core itself contains \
a scalar-list-utils-pm, the vesion supplied by these perl variants is too old for \
what your module wants, so you do need the explicit dependency.

A minor nit is that you don't need to include the MANIFEST as a DocFiles. That file \
is a list of the files that were present in the source tarball, which isn't so useful \
to have in the final binary package.

dan