List:       fink-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fink-devel] updating fribidi
From:       "=?utf-8?b?RGFuaWVsIE1hY2tz?=" <dmacks () netspace ! org>
Date:       2011-11-27 22:12:10

Working through the reverse-depends of the fribidi library,
fribidi-pmXXX may be a hopeless case. Even when I patched it to use the
correct .h, it fails self-tests because it appears to be using internal
interfaces or other no-longer-public parts of the shared library. Given
that it's been untouched upstream since 2002 and doesn't have a free
license anyway, could just scrap it? It's got no reverse-dependencies
anywhere in current 10.4 or beyond and does not appear to be part of
other platforms' distros (Debian, for example) for a long time if ever.

Also, fribidi.pc (which may not have existed in old version?) should be
in the -dev splitoff not main package. Likewise the man3/* are all for
the library so maybe they should also make that shift?

dan

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:12:37 -0500, Daniel Macks <dmacks@netspace.org> wrote:
Thanks for that update! I think your fvwm2 can now be updated to take
> advantage of it (see DescPackaging note). On the other hand, this new
> version abolishes some headers that used to be installed, so packages
> that were using the old version need to be test-built and possibly
> updated. I *think* it's just a matter of switching to (or only)
> including the main fribidi.h rather than some specific other .h. dan
>
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 19:46:14 -0800, "David R. Morrison"
> <drm@finkproject.org> wrote:
> Thanks for noticing that.  I did the update. >
> >   -- Dave
> >
> > On Nov 26, 2011, at 3:16 PM, Hanspeter Niederstrasser wrote:
> >
> > > Dave,
>  > A package I'm trying needs fribidi > 0.19.  According to the
> fribidi > page, 0.19 is API/ABI compatible with the 0.10 series.
> Thanks,

>   --
> Daniel Macks
> dmacks@netspace.org