List:       fink-devel
Subject:    [Fink-devel] Some ideas to expedite the tracker
From:       Alexander Hansen <akh () finkproject ! org>
Date:       2007-01-21 15:55:42

I've thought of a few things that might help expedite use of the
tracker.  I'll jot them down here to get feedback, and also since I
don't have sufficient rights to change the description page for new
submissions there.

1)  We should tell submitters to use fink-0.25 or later, and to validate
packages via 'fink -vvv -m --build-as-nobody build'.  That will save
time up front.
2)  It could be helpful, especially in the case of packages with -shlibs
and -dev splitoffs, for people to upload text files with the contents of
their .deb files (e.g. capturing a 'dpkg -L' or 'dpkg -c').  I feel that
will allow for easy checking for file location noncompliance in
splitoffs, missing license files, ...
3) I'd love to be able to have build logs, too--but these can get too
big for the tracker.  Maybe for the next-generation system.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
(akh)