List:       fink-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fink-devel] Type: perl -- How many versions to keep?
From:       "David R. Morrison" <drm () finkproject ! org>
Date:       2007-01-20 16:24:05

The history here is that a perl584 package was introduced in 10.3
unstable, but it never moved to stable due to the fact that 10.4 used
perl586.

On the other hand, we did create a perl581 package in 10.4, for ease
of upgrade: people who had a bunch of -pm581's installed, which had
used the system perl in 10.3, could now rely on the perl581 package.

We're anticipating a similar transition for 10.5, which we expect
will use perl588.  There is now a perl588 package in 10.4 (both
stable and unstable), and you can create -pm588 packages now to
prepare for the eventual transition.

(Another part of the history is that, when 10.4 on intel was
introduced, we just did a mass add of "(%type_pkg[perl] = 581)
powerpc, (%type_pkg[perl] =  584) powerpc" to the Architecture line,
because we were unable to get perl581 or perl584 to build on intel.
Rather than read through each package to find out which variants it
had, we just added the same phrase to all of them.)

Testing variants is not hard: when you ask fink to build the variant,
the proper version of perl will be loaded for you.

Anyway, my advice is this: if you are not going to be maintaining the
10.3 version of the package (a very reasonable thing, at this point),
then you should focus on the -pm586 and -pm588 variants.  On the
other hand, completely removing old variants is unfriendly, because
other things may depend on them.  So you could create a legacy
package for -pm581 (the .info file would be called finance-quote-
pm581.info), and set the maintainer in that file to None.

   -- Dave