List:       fink-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fink-devel] Anacron
From:       Daniel Macks <dmacks () netspace ! org>
Date:       2006-05-23 21:15:13

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 01:26:27PM -0700, Brendan Cully wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 May 2006 at 16:15, Sebastien Maret wrote:

> > >Don't you already have to be root to add anacron jobs?
> >
> > No. A non-root user can create a anacrontab file in is own
> > directory an run anacron with the -t option.
>
> I see. Still, it sounds a little sketchy to have the timestamp
> directory be world-writeable, unless anacron were somehow to enforce
> separate per-user namespaces. Maybe a patch to allow anacron to take
> a timestamp directory as a command-line option would be better?

I agree. Gotta make sure the timestamp for *my* personal 'email-sync'
job is independent of someone else's. Well actually, anacron does make
sure one person's timestamps don't get read for another user's
jobs. But in doing so it completely breaks everyone who isn't the
first to claim a given job name. lock.c open_tsfile():

  /* Open the timestamp file for job jr */
  [...]
  /* We want to own this file, and set its mode to 0600. This is necessary
  / * in order to prevent other users from putting locks on it. */

Prolly wouldn't be difficult to add a new cmdline flag that declares
the lock directory in main.c.

dan

--
Daniel Macks