List:       fink-devel
Subject:    [Fink-devel] Re: dists/10.3/unstable/main/finkinfo/sci singular.info,NONE,1.1
From:       Michael Brickenstein <bricken () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2005-01-31 17:09:02

Hello!

First to introduce myself:
I am a member of the Singular team.
The Singular-libfac and Singular-factory were made for macaulay out of
parts of Singular, which are downloadable seperately for whatever reason
(binary distribution doesn't seperate these).

I think I've seen these packages in an older version, where the includes
did go to /sw/include.
This is a build conflict, as it's in the path.

The Singular package installs includes to /sw/include/singular, libs in
/sw/lib/singular
where they belong IMHO.
So no different package should install there.

The question is, if the new package can be a replacement.
This depends on some configuration options.
I've discussed this with our leading programmer.

While there are many common options for macaulay and Singular (no stream
IO, way of reporting errors),
there are possible areas of conflict in:

1. Memory management (Singular uses omalloc), maybe there are
dependencies in static libs
2. location of GFTables (tables for arithmetic operations for some fields)

So, there are two possible scenarios, we'd like to see:
Macaulay renames their packages and installes to /sw/include/macaulay
/sw/lib/macaulay
or they try to use our package.
We would offer to make some reasonable minor modifications for this.

I don't know, but I suppose macaulay needs these libs only at build
time. We want to build dynamic C++ - modules for Singular, so at least
the includes are needed.
By the way, this is a development version of Singular, we are near (I
hope) releasing Singular 3.0.
Best,
Michael Brickenstein