List:       fink-devel
Subject:    [Fink-devel] Re: Academic Staff / Large site installation  using Fink - your comments
From:       Blair Zajac <blair () orcaware ! com>
Date:       2005-01-19 17:35:00

Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek wrote:
>>To make this happen we have to make Fink as best suited and easy to use
>>for your specific needs. Unfortunately that is something I have little
>>experience in. I would be very interested din learning what the typical
>>issues are and how we might be able to remedy them. This is of course
>>only something that can be suggested but still I think it is worth a try,
>

> Hello
>
> I would like to say that I am not going to do any mass installation of
> fink anytime soon but I can say the reasons why not at least :)
>
> First, Apple computers are not very widespread here in the middle of
> Europe. The reason is probably their relatively higher price compared to
> PCs.
>
> Second, most of the users would not make use of fink. They have
> difficulties identifying the actual computer - many think the computer
> is the thing on which they type or the thing on which they see pictures.
> So the odds they would use something that resembles unix are low.
>
> If I were installing many computers with fink I would probably do so by
> creating an image and copying it to the hardrives of the target
> computers. But there is problem once this is done: managing the
> computers would require manually logging into them using ssh or remote
> desktop and performing some tasks that are usually not easily automated.
>
> Sure, the stuff that can be done through ssh could be possibly automated
> if the systems remained near-identical. But automated system for
> installing and upgrading software, applying changes, etc. is missing.
> Microsoft is much ahead of Apple, GNU/Linux, or anything else with thier
> domain policy. It could certainly be better but it is probably the best
> thing available to date for managing large installations.

An easy solution to this is to have a crontab entry on each entry just
run rsync against an official local Fink tree with the packages you care
about.

In my case, I have a Mac that I do all builds on.  When I'm happy with
it's /sw directory, I rsync it to another server that has a public rsync
server on it.  Then other clients rsync from that server.

If my build Mac ends up getting hosed for whatever reason, I just rsync
it's own /sw tree back from the server.

You could take this a step further and have a series of /sw trees in
various states of testing and stability.

Regards,
Blair