List:       fink-beginners
Subject:    Re: [Fink-beginners] Which python is recommended?
From:       Hanspeter Niederstrasser <fink () snaggledworks ! com>
Date:       2020-05-22 0:43:37

On 5/21/20 7:25 PM, Thomas Schneider wrote:
> Hanspeter

>> If I was starting from scratch, I would choose python38. It's the
>> latest release and will be supported the longest.
>
> Why not select python3?  That is, what is the difference to Fink?

The Fink python3 package just creates convenience symlinks from a fully
versioned python executable to python3. So instead of having to run
'python3.8', you can just run 'python3'. You can have python37 and
python38 installed at the same time, but only on version of 'python3'
can be installed at any time (and it defaults to point to the latest
python version=3.8.0 at this time).

Hanspeter