List:       fink-beginners
Subject:    Re: [Fink-beginners] Problem with system-java-dev
From:       Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.hansen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-11-12 3:58:33

On 11/11/10, Andrew Sharff <a.sharff@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Alexander

Sorry for the delay.  I was away from 'net access for a while.
Replying to the list rather than directly to a particular respondent
reduces the need for a particular person to be available.

> On 11 Nov 2010, at 18:55, Alexander Hansen wrote:
>

>> This was all covered in the news on www.finkproject.org .  Apple changed
>> the Java setup around.
>>

> Yes, I read this.
>

>> 1)  Make sure your package manager is up to date by updating your cvs
>> checkout and injecting a new version.  There's no way for us to tell
>> just from "fink --version" what features you have in a cvs checkout of
>> fink.  "fink list fink" is slightly more informative, but even that only
>> gives the time when you injected a new version, and doesn't account for
>> a delay between checking out and injecting.
>>

> Output from fink list fink gives:
>
> *i*  fink                           0.29.99.cvs-20091003.  The Fink package
> manager
>  i   fink-mirrors                   0.29.14.1-1            Mirror
> infrastructure
>  i   fink-obsolete-packages         0.1-1                  Base package for
> obsolete packages
>  i   fink-package-precedence        0.9-1                  Check fink
> masking of system libs
>      finkinfofile                   1.6-1                  Spotlight
> importer for Fink .info files
>      webmin-fink-scripts            1.270-1                Essential Fink
> scripts for Webmin

That would mean that you didn't do my step 1), which was to update
your fink.  You've got a CVS version of fink which was injected in
October 2009, and it therefore can't  know anything about the changes
in Java from October 2010.   The 0.29.15 version of fink mentioned in
news on www.finkproject.org as solving this issue is newer than what
you've got on your system right now.

I'm not sure exactly why you're using a CVS checkout of fink, but one
thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't automatically update via
selfupdate.  You have to update it manually.

You might consider downgrading to the release version via

fink install fink-0.29.15-51.

and thereby ensure that you get updates via selfupdate.

>> 2)  Download the Java Developer Package from connect.apple.com .
>
> I downloaded javadeveloper_10.6_10m3261.dmg and installed it from
> connect.apple.com (I assume I have downloaded the correct file?)
>
> Re-ran fink selfupdate, then fink scanpackages and then fink update-all
>
> No difference!!

As above, "selfupdate" doesn't update CVS versions of the fink tool.

 "scanpackages" will do absolutely nothing to help you here, because
what it does is allow the binary tools (e.g. apt-get) to see packages
that you built.  It gets run by default after every build operation,
anyway.

> Andrew Sharff

-
Alexander K. Hansen