List:       fink-beginners
Subject:    Re: [Fink-beginners] Gnumeric on fresh install
From:       Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.hansen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-06-08 17:43:44

On 6/8/10 1:23 PM, P Fudd wrote:

>> On 6/7/10 8:06 PM, P Fudd wrote:
>>> Hello again!
>>>
>>> I'm attempting to install gnumeric on snowleopard 32bit.  It attempts to
>>> install 133 packages, but dies part way through with:
>>> -----------
>>> Reading buildlock packages...
>>> /sw/bin/dpkg-lockwait -i
>>> /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-i386/graphics/libpng3_1.2.43-3_darwin-i386.deb
>>> Selecting previously deselected package libpng3.
>>> dpkg: considering removing libpng14 in favour of libpng3 ...
>>> dpkg: yes, will remove libpng14 in favour of libpng3.
>>> (Reading database ... 120013 files and directories currently installed.)
>>> Unpacking libpng3 (from .../libpng3_1.2.43-3_darwin-i386.deb) ...
>>> Setting up libpng3 (1.2.43-3) ...
>>> Clearing dependency_libs of .la files being installed
>>>
>>> Reading buildlock packages...
>>> Could not resolve inconsistent dependencies!
>>>
>>> Fink isn't sure how to install the above packages safely. You may be
>>> able to
>>> fix things by running:
>>>
>>>   fink scanpackages
>>>   sudo apt-get update
>>>   sudo apt-get install pcre=8.01-1
>>>
>>> ---------------
>>>
>>> I'd attach the 'script' recording, but it's 7.8 megs.  Let me know where
>>> should send that.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> A)  Please put a more meaningful subject line in the future, not
>> "Fink-beginners Digest Vol blah, Issue foo"
>>
>> B)  Did you try running the command given to you as above?
>>
>> Sometimes the dependency engine gets confused (though I haven't seen an
>> issue with pcre before) with large package dependency trees.  Under such
>> circumstances, the best thing to do is to try to install any packages
>> that you are told to by messages from the Fink tools (as per above) and
>> then to repeat whatever install command you started with (i.e. 'fink
>> install gnumeric' in  this case); then repeat as needed.
>
> A) Sorry about the subject line; I rushed.
> B) This is a fresh install of fink; how could it get so screwed up already
> that it requires a rebuild of its database?  xz.  Additionally, if the
> program knows enough to tell you what commands to run, it can darn well
> run them itself.

It's a problem within the Fink distribution, not a problem with your
install as such.  In principle with sufficient man-hours the
dependencies could be cleaned up to get rid of such issues.

I believe that the error handler sends the name of the potential
package(s) which couldn't be installed to the very outermost layer where
fink interacts with the user, and the build module is done at that
point.  I.e. it "knows" what commands to run at a point where it's too
late to run them itself.

Since fink is open source, feel free to test out submit a patch to fink
to get it to auto-run-and-restart after such a dependency engine failure.
- --
Alexander Hansen
Fink User Liaison