List:       fink-beginners
Subject:    [Fink-beginners] XDarwin not working was Re: Failed: phase
From:       Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.hansen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-04-19 2:37:58

(removing crosspost)

You've got two separate things going on, so I'll address the issues in
two separate mesages

Chris Beamis wrote:
> When I type "fink selfupdate" I get the below long list of errors.
> I just installed OS X 10.5.6 but it may be coincidence since I haven't
> selfupdated recently.
>
> Also, what I'm not sure isn't an unrelated problem, now when I
> click on the XDarwin application the screen momentarily turns black,
> then gray, then comes back to the normal desktop without starting up
> the X-server.

We don't support either xorg or xfree86 on anything later than 10.4.
I'm not at all surprised that your XDarwin application would be
nonfunctional.

See if you can run "sudo dpkg -r --force-depends xorg xorg-shlibs
xfree86 xfree86-shlibs".  This may give you an error, and if so, then
you'll probably need to edit the file /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status by hand.

If you know how to use vi, run

   sudo vi /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status

If you know another text editor that does not damage files, use it
(nano, pico, with some care also emacs or bbedit, with extreme care even
  TextEdit).
Look for a line

Package: xfree86 (or xorg)

Then remove the whole paragraph (this line and all lines up to the next
"Package:" line).

If there is still a line "Package: xfree86-shlibs (or xorg-shlibs)", do the same for \
this.

Save the file and then remove all files in /sw/var/lib/dpkg/info/ whose
name begins with "xfree86" (or "xorg").

Then run

pkgutil --verify com.apple.pkg.X11User
pkgutil --verify com.apple.pkg.X11SDKLeo
pkgutil --verify com.apple.pkg.X11DocumentationLeo

to see if you do have Leopard's X11 installed, and if it's still functional.  Since \
it uses /usr/X11 rather than /usr/X11R6 it may even be OK.