List:       fink-beginners
Subject:    Re: [Fink-beginners] crash during package install leopard
From:       Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.hansen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-06 18:52:10

bloer wrote:
> On Jun 5, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Alexander Hansen wrote:
>

>> bloer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> 	I'm having a rather irritating little problem.  I am trying to
>>> install various packages on a 64-bit iMac running Leopard 10.5.3.
>>> Some packages install fine, but some will crash during
>>> installation  and cause the whole system to freeze.  I know there
>>> have been others,  but the three that come to mind recently are
>>> root5, geant4.9 and  fftw3.  I recently upgraded fink to 0.28.2 and
>>> X11 to 2.2.1, but this  didn't help.
>>>
>>> The most recent package I tried to install was the fftw3 package.
>>> I  can't find any kind of log (not too familiar with fink), but the
>>> last  message on the screen were a bunch of errors from ranlib:
>>>
>>> ranlib: file ######(######) has no symbols
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> ~Ben
>>>

>> Were those errors or warnings?  The latter aren't fatal.
>>
>> It's almost impossible to diagnose problems  from a terse verbal
>> description.  fink does have a logging feature (as per "man fink").
>> The default location is in /tmp, though, so if there's a problem
>> that freezes your system, the logfile would get clobbered on
>> reboot.  But you can use
>>
>> fink --logfile=</path/to/logfile> build <packagename>
>> to stick the logfile in a more persistent location.
>>
> Thanks for that tip. I tried to install gcc43 (the package that caused
> fftw3 to hang) with the logfile specified to get some useful output,
> and it magically worked this time, then fftw3 installed also.
> Probably because I installed them separately?

Dunno.
> I then tried to install root5, which did freeze the system.  The full
> log dump is attached (not sure if attachments work for the mailing
> list...) .  The last few lines are:
>
> Writing control file...
> Creating shlibs files...
> dpkg-deb -b root-gsl-shlibs-1.11-1 /sw/fink/10.5/unstable/main/binary-
> darwin-i386/sci
> dpkg-deb: building package `gsl-shlibs' in `/sw/fink/10.5/unstable/
> main/binary-darwin-i386/sci/gsl-shlibs_1.11-1_darwin-i386.deb'.
> Removing runtime build-lock...
> Removing build-lock package...
> /sw/bin/dpkg-lockwait -r fink-buildlock-gsl-1.11-1
> (Reading database ... 53867 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing fink-buildlock-gsl-1.11-1 ...
>

> So it seems (to me at least) that there is something going wrong with
> the dependency handling, or at least the buildlocks.

The "dpkg-deb -b" line says that the binary archive package gsl-shlibs
is being built from its root directory, meaning that the compile was
successful, and the build lock is being removed (correctly) since Fink
is now done with building anything gsl-related.  So for this package, at
least, everything works properly.  Your error is elsewhere.