List:       fink-beginners
Subject:    Re: [Fink-beginners] Reinstall Apache
From:       Martin Costabel <costabel () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2007-03-29 14:28:20

Alexander Hansen wrote:
> Toph wrote:
>> That is correct. I attempted to install it using the command
>> you provided and it did not reinstall the files.
[]
>>> So you did "fink reinstall apache2-common", right?  And you didn't get
>>> back either of the files?
>>>
>>> I show ssl.load as being installed by apache2-common, so I would think
>>> that it would get reinstalled, but ssl.conf seems to be generated after
>>> install so that "dpkg -S" doesn't know about it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alexander K. Hansen
>>> (akh)
>>> Fink Documenter

These are ConfFiles. In principle, when you reinstall a package or
update it, dpkg should ask you about each of these what to do: Keep the
old version (which for these two you don't have any more), install the
package-supplied version, or edit it. In reality, with "fink install" I
have rarely seen this behavior. If called by fink, dpkg seems to
silently ignore all ConfFiles, unless the package is installed for the
first time.

Acording to "man dpkg" you should be able to force installation of the
config files by using some flags, like

  dpkg -i --force-confmiss /path/to/your/apache2-common_*.deb

--
Martin