List:       fink-beginners
Subject:    Re: [Fink-beginners] trouble updating to GTK+2 2.6.10-1003
From:       "Alexander Hansen" <alexanderk.hansen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-15 21:37:13

On 3/15/07, Michael Roberts <mike@family-roberts.org> wrote:
> A couple weeks ago, got into Fink Commander and noticed a bunch of my
> installed packages were out of date.  The only package I am getting
> stuck on updating is GTK+2.  I have version 2.4.9-1009 installed, and
> I can not installed 2.6.10-1003.  When I attempt to install from
> source, I get the following message:
>
> The package 'gtk+2' will be built and installed.
> Reading dependency for gtk+2-2.6.10-1003...
> Reading build dependency for gtk+2-2.6.10-1003...
> Reading dependency for gtk+2-shlibs-2.6.10-1003...
> Reading dependency for gtk+2-dev-2.6.10-1003...
> Reading build conflict for gtk+2-2.6.10-1003...
>
> fink needs help picking an alternative to satisfy a virtual dependency. The
> candidates:
>
> (1)     xfree86: Free X11 implementation
> (2)     xorg: Free X11 implementation
> (3)     system-xfree86-manual-install: Manually installed X11 components
>
> Pick one: [1]
>

> I can try any of these tree options and it eventually fails.  I am new
> to this, shouldn't this work with X11.app?

X11.app is just the display server.  The issue is whether you have the
whole X11 distribution.

I installed the X11.app
> update that came through a couple weeks ago, and I wonder if that is
> causing the conflict.  I tried this with 10.4.8 and 10.4.9, and I have
> the same problem.  I am using an original Core Duo MBP with 2GB of
> RAM.  Please let me know if you all need anymore details to help me
> troubleshoot.  Thanks in advance for helping a n00b.
>
> --
> -mike

Check out:

http://www.finkproject.org/faq/usage-packages.phpapple-x11-wants-xfree86

--and--

http://www.finkproject.org/faq/usage-packages.php#special-x11-debug

Fink works perfectly well from binary installs even if you don't have
the X11SDK installed, so that may be your issue.
--
Alexander K. Hansen
(akh)