List:       fink-beginners
Subject:    Re: [Fink-beginners] fink asks for X11 installation,
From:       Daniel Johnson <daniel () daniel-johnson ! org>
Date:       2007-03-07 1:49:43

On Mar 6, 2007, at 7:44 PM, Qiaofeng Yang wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I tried to install an unstable package from source via fink and fink
> gave the following message:

> fink needs help picking an alternative to satisfy a virtual
> dependency. The
> candidates:
> (1)	xfree86: Free X11 implementation
> (2)	xorg: Free X11 implementation
> (3)	system-xfree86-manual-install: Manually installed X11 components
>
> Pick one: [1]
>
> But I already had Apple's X11 installed, which I intend to keep using.
> I tried to reinstall Apple's X11 twice and fink still gave the same
> message. Command "fink list -i system-xfree86" gave the following
> results:

> Information about 5638 packages read in 0 seconds.
>  i   system-xfree86
> 2:4.4-2                                         [placeholder for user
> installed x11]
>  i   system-xfree86-dev
> 2:4.4-2                                         [placeholder for user
> installed x11 development tools]
>  i   system-xfree86-shlibs
> 2:4.4-2                                         [placeholder for user
> installed x11 shared libraries]
>
> And command "fink-virtual-pkgs --debug" gave the following relevant
> message:

> Package: system-xfree86
> homepage: http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-
> general.php#virtpackage
> provides: xserver, x11, libgl, xft2, rman, xfree86-base-threaded
>
> Package: system-xfree86-dev
> homepage: http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-
> general.php#virtpackage
> provides: xft2-dev
> builddependsonly: true

This is the problem. The "provides" line above should say "provides:
x11-dev, libgl-dev, xft2-dev, fontconfig1-dev" for Apple's X11. Try
"fink list x11". You are supposed to see a "p" next to x11, x11-dev
and x11-shlibs. If there isn't a "p" next to x11-dev, you have a
partially installed X11SDK.pkg. Try reinstalling it from your
installation disk (it's part of Xcode). Apple's Installer.app
sometimes misses some files.

Daniel